Interested in elevating your voice and the voices of early childhood educators? Want to be a part of the movement to advance equity, racial, and social justice in early childhood?
Consider applying to serve on the AzAEYC Governing Board!
AzAEYC Board Members drive our organization’s mission and vision in the community, contribute insight and expertise, and work to create a better Arizona for children, families, and teachers.
Serving on the AzAEYC Governing Board is an extraordinary opportunity for members who are passionate about AzAEYC’s vision and mission, deeply committed to its values and beliefs, and skilled (or up-and-coming) leaders.
What does an AzAEYC board member do?
- Attend 4 quarterly meetings per year (virtual and/or in-person).
- Contribute around 20 hours of volunteer service per year (including attending in-person and/or virtual AzAEYC meetings and events, email correspondence, and networking in the community)
- Maintain financial accountability for the organization by approving financial documents. Exercise due diligence to oversee that the organization is well-managed and its finances remain sound.
- Share your expertise to ensure all of Arizona’s children, families, and early childhood professionals thrive.
- Are expected to consider AzAEYC a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority.
- So that AzAEYC can credibly seek contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, AzAEYC seeks to have 100% of Board Members make an annual contribution.
- That amount is determined by each individual.
- Board Members can also instead donate in-kind hours by volunteering at events or sponsoring items (like purchasing an NAEYC book for a raffle prize at an event).
What will you need to apply?
To apply, please complete the nomination application. It should take about 15-25 minutes to complete. You will also be asked to attach a resume (in Word, PDF, or image format) and type in responses to a personal statement which will be used in the ballot if you are selected for the slate. It may be helpful to prepare your responses to these questions before you begin the application.
- Imagine someone from outside of the field asks you why early care and education is important. How would you respond?
- How do you – or how will you – help advance equity, racial, and social justice in early childhood education?
- All board members have strengths and skills that they contribute to the board and to the organization. What skills and strengths will you bring to your board service?
- (Optional) Is there any other information you’d like us to know about your interest in serving on the AzAEYC Governing Board?
What board positions are available?
Four AzAEYC Governing Board positions are open for 2023. Below are brief descriptions of each of these openings. Find complete descriptions of all board positions here. All open positions will serve a 2-year term from 1/1/2023-12/31/2024.
All board members serve as AzAEYC leaders in their community and are expected to commit to advancing equity in early childhood education and helping AzAEYC advocate for a well-supported, well-compensated early childhood profession.
- Secretary (takes notes during meetings and communicates meeting minutes with board members)
- Vice President of Membership & Communication (helps plan activities for AzAEYC members in collaboration with other board members and staff; serves as the liaison between AzAEYC and Chapters; helps plan the annual membership meeting and professional development event)
- Vice President of Advocacy (monitors state and federal legislation; chairs the annual early childhood day at the capitol planning committee; leads meetings with legislators as available; supports advocacy training for early childhood professionals)
- Member-at-Large student (participates in a committee of choice; volunteers for various projects, training events and assignments; represents the student voice on AzAEYC initiatives)
Timeline for 2023 Board Nominations
- Applications are accepted through Sunday 10/2/2022.
- The Nominations Committee will conduct virtual interviews by 10/22/2022.
- The slate of candidates will be sent to AzAEYC members to vote in November 2022. Voting typically closes by early December.
- Candidates are informed of the results at the end of the voting period in December.
- Board service begins 1/1/2023 and includes onboarding and mentorship support.
Thank you for considering AzAEYC Board service!