Honor the Past and Reimagine the Future Early Childhood Scholarship, available through AzAEYC, was renamed to acknowledge and honor the outstanding service of early childhood professionals, past, present and future. Building upon the strong foundation created by former leaders in our field, our goal is to recognize the leadership qualities and commitment to equitable early education of our future educators.
- The Honor the Past and Reimagine the Future Scholarship will award one $1,250 scholarship each to two students attending an accredited Arizona university/college and majoring in early childhood education (or a closely related field) with an interest in equitable quality early childhood experiences, early childhood public policy, and advocacy efforts on behalf of young children and families.
- This scholarship can be used to continue college education (for undergraduate and graduate courses), and/or attain ECE career goals (e.g., purchasing resources for professional growth and/or living expenses).
- A student may apply themselves or may be nominated by their college faculty, advisor or a supervisor, or any professional in the field. An individual may receive a scholarship from AzAEYC only once.
The applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Currently attend an accredited Arizona college or university.
- Be a resident of Arizona.
- Be a current member-in-good-standing of AzAEYC/NAEYC. If awarded and NOT a current member of AzAEYC/NAEYC, a one-year entry level membership will be provided for you.
- Be in good academic standing, with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Plan to be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours at an accredited Arizona college/university during the 2021/22 academic year. (Applicants may also pursue a First Things First College Scholarship or FAFSA.)
- AzAEYC Board members are not eligible to apply.
The scholarship application is due September 30, 2021. Completed applications must be submitted online: www.azaeyc.org/advance-our-profession/scholarships/. Late submissions will not be accepted. Recipients will be selected by a committee of AzAEYC members. The applicant’s financial need (how will the money be used) and merit (contribution to the field and performance as a student) will be considered when awarding the scholarships. Applicants should plan to attend the AzAEYC Annual Meeting, Saturday, October 16, 2021 which will be held virtually. More specific details will be provided to all applicants.
Required Application Materials
To be considered, applicants must include the completed items listed below.
Submit the completed application online by September 30, 2021:
One completed application form which includes:
- One letter of recommendation
Must be written by a faculty member, advisor at your college of enrollment, a supervisor (e.g., director, curriculum specialist), or any professional in the field. It must include a signature, title, and contact number (letters written on college or program letterhead preferred).
Must specifically address the applicant’s personal strengths, leadership qualities, academic achievements, and potential as an early childhood education professional.
- One brief essay (one-sided, double-spaced, and a maximum of two pages in 12 point font):
Describe how your education will prepare you to provide high quality equitable early childhood experiences or participate in early childhood public policy and advocacy efforts on behalf of young children and families. How do you see yourself involved in this work, either currently or in the future?
Identify any barriers you might have faced or overcome in pursuing your educational goals.
Explain how you will use this scholarship to continue your education and/or attain ECE career goals.
Consider the AzAEYC Vision, Mission and Values and the NAEYC Advancing Equity in Early Childhood Education Position Statement as you compose your essay:
- One set of unofficial transcripts
Most current unofficial college transcript(s) indicating cumulative GPA for college coursework.
Submitting Your Application:
Step 1. Prepare your application documents (essay, current unofficial transcript and recommendation letter) prior to starting your application
Step 2. Complete scholarship application form in its entirety
Step 3 Upload one letter of recommendation where indicated
Step 4. Upload your essay where indicated
Step 5. Upload your unofficial transcript where indicated
Step 6. Submit your completed application
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Complete the application process online: www.azaeyc.org/advance-our-profession/scholarships.
Please note the deadline for submitting a completed application is September 30, 2021.
Notifications will be sent by October 8, 2021.
For technical assistance or if there are any special accommodations needed to complete your application, please contact ProfessionalDevelopmentVP@azaeyc.org prior to beginning the application process.